Facebook Group Share
April 27, 2020
California teacher asks a vendor question.
From 403bwise group
Hi All! Current California educator with some questions regarding investments:
I was previously employed at a school that offered a 457(b) with a match. Upon starting a new job, I opened a 403(b) through CalSTRS Pension 2 since my 457(b) was previously with them. Having read the Simple Path to Wealth, it seems like Vanguard has been a popular choice and has greater investment options. My school does also offer Vanguard as an option for 403(b).
Would you all:
- Stay with CalSTRS Pension 2 but go with a more aggressive portfolio?
- Switch my current 403(b) to Vanguard's 403(b)?
- Switch to Vanguard's Roth 403(b)?
- Open up a ROTH IRA with Vanguard instead?
- What are the benefits of one vs the other? Also, would you recommend rolling the existing 457(b) or leaving it where it is?
I would like to grow my investments since I lacked awareness and my 457(b) was conservatively invested (i.e. did not grow).
Thank you in advance!
Join the 403bwise Facebook Group so you can read this and other shares. Don't forget to answer the three questions. We can't approve you if you don't.